How to Care for Your Silk Products
Read our helpful guide to get the best from your Luna and pillowcase
Traditionally, silk is a dry clean only fabric due to its delicate structure. Because of this, the UK Silk Association recommends dry clean as the safest method to clean fabrics made from 100 percent silk.
In essence, the jersey silk headband on our Luna silk hair wrap changes shape over time due to the heat we all produce from our heads. You can reclaim some of the shape by soaking your Luna in cold water for 5-10 minutes. The good news is as our silk is of the highest quality and highly durable, you can hand wash your Luna hair wrap and pillowcases, providing you treat it with care and follow these tips.
- Always use a ph neutral liquid detergent, ideally, one that is specific for silk fabric. You can also use a little shampoo which is milder than standard washing detergent and will also remove any product build-up. Ensure the water is not above 30 degrees centigrade.
- Handle your products carefully and gently, rinse thoroughly and ensure all excess detergent is removed after washing. Avoid soaking for prolonged periods as silk will shrink with prolonged contact to water. For tough to remove stains, we would suggest taking it to a dry cleaner.
- To dry, fold and compress to remove excess water. Lay your Luna or pillowcase flat on a towel and roll your luna in the towel to remove all the excess water. Don’t wring or squeeze the rolled towel, as this can damage the silk material.
- Once part dried, leave to air dry out of direct sunlight.
- Washing once a week will keep the condition of the silk and the shape intact and ensure you get a long period of use from your investment.
Silk is tougher than it looks (it is actually stronger than steel as a thread) but it should be treated with care none-the-less. If properly looked after you will continue to see the benefits for up to 9 months.